Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
SS Keggle bulkheads - Welded, weldless or soldered?
  • C_BC_B
    Currently the kettle has a sight gauge/thermometer bulkhead and an bulkhead for the outlet valve. I think I'm going to move the outlet to the bottom of the kettle near the side, install the element where the valve used to be and add a recirc return port halfishway up the side.

I know a welder than has done a lot of other work for me. Says he can do sanitary, I believe he can. Probably ~$50 - $75? Maybe less.

I have a weldless sight gauge and diptube bulkheads now with no leaking issues.

Soldering I can do myself (plenty of copper, never SS so there may be a learning curve) and that would be much stronger that weldless for something like the the ball valve that gets a lot of action.

Sooooooo
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    get it welded.

C_B
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

get it welded.

Care to elaborate? Why not solder? I could do it myself and would be a nice DIY project that I can say I did myself.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JerryJerry
    Just get it welded. If you've got a guy who gives you prices like that and at least kinda knows what he's doing, just get it welded.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

get it welded.

Care to elaborate? Why not solder? I could do it myself and would be a nice DIY project that I can say I did myself.

bonding stainless steel with any sort of brazing or soldering is an exercise in futility. This is especially true when you are talking about a very small interfaces like a thin walled vessel penetration. Welding is really the only way to get a strong permanent bond.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny