Recipe these ingredients
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 50,788
    A little wheat will make it "crisp," and impart a soft maltyness. With a flavorful barley malt, this can make an exceptional beer. Great for head retention too.
    I used to avoid it, until I began to delve into some of the historical German styles.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 50,788
    If you really want to elevate the recipe I gave, add a pound or two of oatmeal as well.
    Boil it thick, and add to the mash.
    Still shouldn't have any issues with the sparge
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    ceannt said:

    If you really want to elevate the recipe I gave, add a pound or two of oatmeal as well.
    Boil it thick, and add to the mash.
    Still shouldn't have any issues with the sparge



    Boil oatmeal and add to the mash? Or boil oats and add it to the mash?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 50,788
    Don't spend the extra money on flaked oats from a brewing supplier. .. just pick up some "old fashioned" oatmeal. Boil it just like you were fixing it for breakfast. Make it fairly thick, and let it cool to the target mash temp before you add it, and your strike water. Otherwise you have to do some tricky thermodynamics calculations
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 50,788
    The oats and wheat together are magical, in moderate quantities
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    ceannt said:

    Don't spend the extra money on flaked oats from a brewing supplier. .. just pick up some "old fashioned" oatmeal. Boil it just like you were fixing it for breakfast. Make it fairly thick, and let it cool to the target mash temp before you add it, and your strike water. Otherwise you have to do some tricky thermodynamics calculations



    Right. Oats. Not Oatmeal. Like Quaker old fashioned oats?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    ceannt said:

    The oats and wheat together are magical, in moderate quantities



    I generally like both of these things.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    Ok, I need to get some MO. I really want to do the thing Kenny said.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    The hops don't taste/smell stale or cheesy. They may be weaker than normal but I don't think they're garbage.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JerryJerry
    Posts: 79,060
    C_B said:

    I really want to do the thing Kenny said.



    Be very careful.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 47,246
    C_B said:

    The hops don't taste/smell stale or cheesy. They may be weaker than normal but I don't think they're garbage.



    malt!
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    ceannt said:

    If you really want to elevate the recipe I gave, add a pound or two of oatmeal as well.
    Boil it thick, and add to the mash.
    Still shouldn't have any issues with the sparge



    This still confuses me. What does boiling the oats change compared to just adding them to the mash raw/uncooked?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JerryJerry
    Posts: 79,060
    C_B said:

    ceannt said:

    If you really want to elevate the recipe I gave, add a pound or two of oatmeal as well.
    Boil it thick, and add to the mash.
    Still shouldn't have any issues with the sparge



    This still confuses me. What does boiling the oats change compared to just adding them to the mash raw/uncooked?


    It breaks them down in some way that makes the good stuff more soluble and more possible to convert the starches. And they don't have a tannin content that makes 170+ a problem

    CurlyFat
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 50,788
    You will get a whole lot more out of them if you boil first. Technically, they are "pre cooked"... but don't add much if you just add to the grain the way they are.
    You used to be able to buy oat malt. That stuff was awesome, and is what should really go into an oatmeal stout. But it is no longer commercially available. Sad really.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    Found some special B in the freezer also.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    10lbs MO
    1lb MO oven roasted
    2lbs wheat
    4oz of c60
    4oz of c15.

    That's the grain bill. I font really know anything about special B so I'll leave it out unless someone says otherwise. Also have midnight wheat, but I can't see what that would add.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    The grain is ground. No turning back now.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    Also, I tried conditioning by dumping all of the grain (13.5lbs) in a bucket then dumping about a quart of water in the bucket, mixing with a big spoon then putting the lid on and rolling it around to mix further. Then let sit for about 3 hours. I'm not sure, but it looks like a wicked good grind.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 66,003
    C_B said:

    Also, I tried conditioning by dumping all of the grain (13.5lbs) in a bucket then dumping about a quart of water in the bucket, mixing with a big spoon then putting the lid on and rolling it around to mix further. Then let sit for about 3 hours. I'm not sure, but it looks like a wicked good grind.



    I never did condition my grain, and always got a good grind. What drove you to start conditioning?


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    Also, I tried conditioning by dumping all of the grain (13.5lbs) in a bucket then dumping about a quart of water in the bucket, mixing with a big spoon then putting the lid on and rolling it around to mix further. Then let sit for about 3 hours. I'm not sure, but it looks like a wicked good grind.



    I never did condition my grain, and always got a good grind. What drove you to start conditioning?


    I'm using the cheapest possible mill. I can set it to leave 25% unground or set it to flour.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 66,003
    C_B said:

    DrCurly said:

    C_B said:

    Also, I tried conditioning by dumping all of the grain (13.5lbs) in a bucket then dumping about a quart of water in the bucket, mixing with a big spoon then putting the lid on and rolling it around to mix further. Then let sit for about 3 hours. I'm not sure, but it looks like a wicked good grind.



    I never did condition my grain, and always got a good grind. What drove you to start conditioning?


    I'm using the cheapest possible mill. I can set it to leave 25% unground or set it to flour.


    Ah. That makes sense.


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    .
    1450572067938-482222412.jpg
    1520 x 2688 - 2M
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    C_B said:

    10lbs MO
    1lb MO oven roasted
    2lbs wheat
    4oz of c60
    4oz of c15.
    8oz oats



    1.051 in 5.25 ish gallons.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 50,788
    Cool.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,552
    C_B said:

    C_B said:

    10lbs MO
    1lb MO oven roasted
    2lbs wheat
    4oz of c60
    4oz of c15.
    8oz oats



    1.051 in 5.25 ish gallons.


    Plugged it all in. This calculates to a 52% efficiency.... I think.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants